CAPE TOWN – Western Cape police have won a court order to retrieve the only hard evidence they have in a double murder case – a bullet in their prime suspect’s leg. Sizwe Gaqa had indicated that he was not going to let the police have the bullet. However, on Tuesday morning Cape High Court Judge Siraj Desai gave the police permission to use reasonable force, including surgery by a qualified doctor, to remove the bullet. He gave Gaqa, who is being held in custody, 24 hours to change his mind, failing which the Sheriff of the court could give the go-ahead for extraction. The drama in the unusual case started on New Year’s Eve when Mabona Boesman and his bodyguard, Boxer Bangani, were shot dead during a botched robbery in Bellville. Investigating Officer Ivan van den Heever discovered that before he died, Boesman had shot one of his attackers during the robbery. On January 2, Van den Heever received information that Gaqa had been involved in a robbery attempt and had been shot in both thighs. Gaqa first told them he was attacked with a screwdriver, then that he had been shot by an acquaintance on New Year’s Day at Strandfontein. He said the gunman had apologised and he did not intend to pursue the matter any further. In papers before the court Gaqa said that he was not willing to subject himself to a medical procedure that might endanger his life and cause pain. The police lawyer in the application argued that detectives had no other witness who could identify the killer of the two men, and that made the bullet crucial evidence.
Die presidentswag wat in Januarie weens motordiefstal in hegenis geneem is, het die president en ministers beskerm sonder enige formele polisie-opleiding. Hy het nooit deur ‘n polisiedossier gewerk of ‘n saak ondersoek nie. Mnr. Franco Ndlovu (28) van Wattle Grove-straat, Pinelands, is op 27 Januarie by die polisiebarakke in hegtenis geneem waar hy aan een van ses gesteelde motors gewerk het. Hy het gister getuig dat hy sonder enige spesiale opleiding saam met Pres. Thabo Mbeki en ministers oorsee gereis het. Ndlovu staan saam met mnr. Sibusiso (Innocent) Kunene van Langa voorlopig tereg op ses aanklagte van diefstal. Vyf gesteelde BMW’s en ‘n Mazda is gevind in van die motrhuise by die polisiebarakke. Ndlovu het getuig hy is na st. 8 op Greytown, KwaZulu-Natal, na Zambië waar hy hom by die ANC aangesluit het. “Ek het vroeg in 1988 na Suid-Afrika teruggekeer waar ek my bedrywighede binne die ANC voortgesit het. Ons het mense in die townships opgelei. Nadat ek in 1994 uit die tronk vrygelaat is, het ek by Shell House gaan werk waar ek amptenare en leiers van die ANC beskerm het. “Ek was ‘n sekerheidsbeampte by die ANC-kantoor op Greytown. Na 1994 is ons outomaties by die Polisiediens ingelyf,” het hy getuig. Op die vraag van mnr. Keith Gess, sy regsverteenwoordiger, of hy enige formele opleiding gehad het, het hy gesê hy het geen ondervinding van polisiewerk nie. Op ‘n vraag oor sy posbeskrywing het hy gesê: “Ek het voortgegaan om die ANC-leirskap te beskerm.” Ndlovu het gesê hy het saam met ministers en selfs Mbeki oorsee gereis. Sy misdaadgeskiedenis is nooit nagegaan nie, het hy getuig.
Reporter – Gasant Abarder
POLICE are investigating a 20-year-old Maitland woman, who claimed she was kidnapped from a city hotel, for bringing a substantial amount of foreign currency into the country without declaring it. Investigators are also probing a possible drug link after she declined to lay charges against her alleged abductors. What puzzled police was that Leahanda von Greunen laid no charges against her abductors and claimed to weekend newspapers that she was a Dutch tourist who was packpacking in South Africa. Police are now investigating a possible drug link, according to police spokesperson Jacques Wiese. “This is the way drug dealers usually operate. If they find themselves in a spot of trouble they do not want to lay charges with the police.” On further investigation, the police found that Von Greunen is a South African citizen with dual SA-Netherlands citizenship and a Dutch passport. Von Greunen entered South Africa from Mauritius with about US$12000 that was not endorsed on her passport. Wiese said that if Von Greunen could not provide valid reasons for possession of the dollars, the money would be forfeited to the state and she could face charges. He said a team of investigators from the South African Reserve Bank were co-operating with police in the case. Von Greunen claimed she was kidnapped from the reception area of the Tulip Inn in Strant Street shortly after she arrived in the city from Mauritius on Thursday. She claimed her abductors then drove her to Langa she was burnt with cigarettes, beaten, kicked, scratched with a nail and locked in a shack. Her Tanzanian boyfriend, Zaki Nazzir, 25 – who she claimed was a Saudi Arabian citizen – followed the abductors’ vehicle and was also attached and locked in a seperate shack. The couple were picked up by Langa police after residents found them. No arrests were made. Wiese, however, said witnesses had seen her leaving the hotel with the men in an amicable fashion. He said there was further compelling evidence to suggest there could be a drug link which could not be disclosed at this stage. Police are also baffled as to why Von Greunen had booked into a hotel when it is known that she lived with Nazzir in Maitland. Director Johan Klein, acting area commissioner of the West Metropole, said because Von Greunen was a South African citizen it did not mean that her kidnapping would be seen as less serious. “Even though no further investigation was requested by the victim, we regard the matter in a serious light and will be investigating the matter to the full extent of the law.” “The circumstances under which she was kidnapped from the hotel in Cape Town are currently under investigation. We have obtained sensitive information (about) the incident which cannot be disclosed at this stage,” Klein said. He said that Von Greunen had misled weekend newspapers, and that these inaccurate reports had done a lot of harm to the image of Cape Town’s tourism industry.
A paralysed Plumstead man is alleged to have shot his 17year-old girlfriend dead during an argument in his car as they drove home through busy Claremont. Kenneth David Daniels, 28, appeared yesterday in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court where he was granted R1000 bail. The State alleges that Mr Daniels, who was paralysed from the waist down in a car accident eight years ago, shot Hasira Galant in the head on Saturday afternoon. The State did not oppose his bail application and no formal charges were put to him. The incident happened at 3.15pm as shoppers headed hom in the busy southern suburbs. A security official stopped next to Mr Daniels’s car, which was parked on a bridge. When he approached the car he saw Ms Galant had been shot dead. He allegedly took a gun from Mr Daniels, who was in the driver’s seat. The wheelchair-bound Mr Daniels was later arrested by the police. Defence attorney Ben Mathewson said Mr Daniels had told him that he had argued with Ms Galant, who tried to wrest his gun from him. His client would testify that Ms Galant was in control of the gun when a shot went off, hitting her in the head. Mr Mathewson told the court that Mr Daniels had been on medication since being paralysed. He said it was Mr Daniels’s gun that had been discharged during the argument with Mr Galant. Magistrate Gavin du Plessis adjourned the case until Agusut 3 for further investigation.