Two child porn suspects in court after police swoop

Cape Times

Reporter: Karen Breytenbach

TWO of the six men recently arrested for child pornography appeared in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court yesterday – one was granted R600 bail and the other had his R1000 bail extended. The arrests followed the setting up of a special task team on child pornography by Western Cape police in October last year. The “Project Doctor” team was tasked with investigating internet-based child pornography and individuals in the province who possessed such material. A 61-year-old self-employed man from Sybrand Park in the southern suburbs briefly appeared in Court 4 for possession of pornographic images. Although he said he could only afford R200 bail, bail was set at R600 by Magistrate Hafisa Mohammed and the man was told to return to the Sexual Offences Court on June 21. Investigators from Mowbray seized 19 pornographic images of children from his hard drive at the house in Dagbreek Street where he lives with his aged mother. He was arrested at home. He is single and has no children. The man was escorted from crowded second-floor courtroom by his attorney. The other suspect simultaneously appeared upstairs in the M courtroom of the Sexual Offences Court. The 32-year-old unemployed man was arrested at his house in Rondebosch after the police found several pornographic images of children on his two computer hard drives. Magistrate Sue Smith extended his bail of R1000 pending his next appearance on July 21, when he will be asked to plead. Another suspect from Simon’s Town appears for the second time in the Wynberg Sexual Offences Court tomorrow. The 52-year-old was arrested at his home, where police confiscated a computer and a number of pornographic images depicting children. On Wesnesday next week a 34-year-old Kuils River man is to make his second appearance at the Kuils River Magistrate’s Court. At his house police found pornography on a laptop and a separate hard drive. The man was arrested on the spot. A 50-year-old Fish Hoek man is also due to appear in the Sexual Offences Court on May 31. The police seized a computer, many pornographic images and unlicensed firearm. A Goodwood man whose house was seized by the state will appear in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court on June 6. Several unlicensed pornographic material, were confiscated. The man faces charges of possession and distribution of child pornography.